Query Re: [Milton-L] 17th Century Christmas

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Dec 24 11:14:02 EST 2005

Carol Barton wrote:

> Not to know him argues yourself unknown, Carrol: Dobson makes Billy Graham
> look like a Unitarian.--CB

Well, I've never claimed NOT to be unknown. :-)

But after posting I tried googling Rev. Dobson rather than Dobson or Mr.
Dobson & got the information.

Incidentally, I've come to think that it is unfortunate that the u.s.
never had a state church. Look how many more atheists there are in
Italy, France, & even England than in the u.s. There's nothing, it
seems, that drives people away from religion more quickly than a state
church.

One advantage to Nancy's suggestion (which I nevertheless would oppose)
is that it might make life more pleasant for teachers of freshman comp,
who would no longer face the annual plague of papers on "put thanks back
into thanksgiving" and "put christ back into christmas."

Carrol