[Milton-L] Jonah 4?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 16:28:04 EST 2005

Andrew,

I'm just guessing, but the Hebrew word there in Jonah
is qiyqayon, which -- according to "A Hebrew and
English Lexicon of the Old Testament," edited by
Francis Brown, S. R. Driver, and Charles A. Briggs --
is perhaps the "bottle-gourd" since the Hebrew word is
rendered into Greek in the Septuagint as kolokuntha,
i.e., cucurbita lagenaria, "a vine growing and
withering rapidly" (BDB, page 884b)

For information on and images of the cucurbita
lagenaria, see:

http://www.lowryjames.com/cgi-bin/lowry/435.html

http://www.biozac.de/biozac/capvil/Cvlagena.htm

http://www.uni-duisburg.de/Institute/CollCart/hortus/strabo/d-cucu1.htm

I'm no expert on the King James Bible, but wasn't it
intended to return to the original sources behind the
Vulgate? That might help answer your question.

Sorry not to be of more assistance.

Jeffery Hodges

--- Andrew Mattison <mattisonsom at gmail.com> wrote:

Sorry this is a little off-topic (I'm thinking about
the shade of ivy and vines in Milton and Spenser), but
does anyone on this list know why the King James has,
at Jonah 4:6, "And the Lord God prepared a gourd. . .
"?  The Vulgate is "et praeparavit Dominus Deus
hederam;" C.T. Lewis has hedera as specifically ivy,
which seems like by far the most common translation.
It seems almost like the KJV goes out of its way to
avoid it--any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrew Mattison
Asst. Professor of English