[Milton-L] moloch

Kemmer Anderson kanderso at mccallie.org
Fri Sep 3 15:25:48 EDT 2004

Wow, Angelica!
"besmear'd with blood / Of human sacrifice, and parents' tears"
We watch Moloch run out of Russia from the school-yard.

But for classical battle of scripture: Milton, the master of theodicy
squares off Moloch, the devil of infant sacrifice,
with Gabriel, the announcer of incarnation. This is military justice to
face off these two angels and for Gabriel to send Moloch "bellowing"
(6:362). Milton is the genius of epic symmetry. Your question supports that
epic design. " Do not be afraid, Mary" Luke 2:30). Then a stretch: Luke
2:51. I wish I  had time to search the commentaries.

Peace, Kemmer