[Milton-L] Free will in Eden

Alanhorn3 at cs.com Alanhorn3 at cs.com
Wed Nov 10 01:24:15 EST 2004

I think your student is pointing to a contradiction in Milton's idea of
reason. On the one hand reason is a faculty of judgement which by its nature can go
either way (God says "reason also is choice" (III, 108)). On the other hand
reason is that which tells you what's right.

Milton would like to suppress the contradiction between "discursive reason"
and "right reason" by suggesting that the true exercise of the first always
leads to the choice dictated by the second. So if you make the wrong choice
you're not really using reason, but letting reason be ruled by appetite (see IX,
1127ff.). But if reason always tells you what's right, there's no choice, or
only a trivial one.

Both senses of "reason" appear in IX, 351-356, with confusing results. God
made reason "right," but at the same time it's possible that "by some fair
appearing good suprised" reason can "dictate false." And this is before the fall.

I think the contradiction comes out of an attempt to reconcile conflicting
ideologies: people should be able to judge for themselves (humanism) but there
is also an absolute moral standard they must obey (traditional Christianity).

Alan H