[Milton-L] Re: Memorization and K. Jackson

Harper, D. CPT ENG David.Harper at usma.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:51:25 EST 2004

Professor Fleming,

I certainly didn't (mean to) say students "who can't write an essay" can
make up marks. These assignments are not bonus assignments, nor are they
"make up" assignments, but instead they are valid pedagogical tools. If
my students can't write essays, they fail the essay and (if they can't
rise to the standard) the course. I have a sneaking suspicion (based
upon my own undergraduate and graduate experience) that in many
institutions students pass as long as they "do the work."

I guess I have to point out the obvious: the flip-side of the recitation
business is that students who write well might lose marks if they recite
poorly - is that expecting more then? Expecting too much, perhaps?
Please don't accuse me of coddling students. You've no idea how silly
that sounds given my students, my classes, and my institution.

If you don't see the value in recitation after all the posts patiently
explaining it, fine.  "Busy work" is work assigned simply to keep
students occupied, work without a valid teaching objective. If you call
recitation (not "memorization," which implies rote recall instead of
interpretation and performance)"busy work," you might as well call an
essay such, or the group work you assign.  I suppose you don't advocate
your students attend poetry readings so that they can hear the living
language and better understand the author's own interpretation and tone?
When teaching drama, do you not have students try to stage and perform
it? Are these things "busy work"? If so, fine. I certainly won't be the
one to convince you.

I apologize to the list for falling into the oft-repeated and unseemly
trap of getting defensive about posts...

Dave

Captain David A. Harper
Assistant Professor, Department of English
United States Military Academy
(845) 938-2643