[Milton-L] Memorization

Beth Quitslund quitslun at ohio.edu
Tue Feb 24 14:29:08 EST 2004

This thread interests me for the ways that it resonates not only with
Reformation debates about set prayers, but also more specifically about
singing psalms. There are actually very few tracts in published in England
that argue against the validity of psalm singing, but the number of
defenses of psalm singing indicates that someone was uneasy--either the
hypothetical opponents or the proponents themselves. One of the sites of
anxiety was how singing the text affected the congregants' understanding of
it, and hence its efficacy as both prayer and pedagogy. Of course many
early 17th-century English people must have had the Anglo-Genevan psalter
memorized, so the unease applies to both mechanical reading and to rote
singing of the words. (Lots of discussion of the psalms from the 16th and
17th centuries remind me of an old joke about Unitarians; Q: Why don't
Unitarian churches sing well? A: Everyone is reading ahead to see if they
agree with the words.) On the other hand, proponents of psalm singing
pointed to the advantages that came with great familiarity as well as the
more easily recalled metrical versions (the ability of psalms to substitute
for profane songs in everyday life, the community that emerges from the
whole congregation performing the same text, and others).

I don't have any momentous conclusions to draw from any of this, except
that there is an argument to be made for a musical Paradise Lost in rhymed
quatrains.

Beth Quitslund