[Milton-L] Memorization

gilliaca at jmu.edu gilliaca at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 23 19:44:27 EST 2004

.  One never knows at the time when
>something committed to memory will be used later down the
road.

I once read a murder mystery, long ago, in which a kidnap
victim, thrown into the trunk of a car, recites "The Raven"
over and over, keeping track of how many times, and at what
points the car seems to turn. Teh victim later escapes, and
this allows the detective to figure out where the victim was
taken.

  At times, they seem
>almost proud of having forgotten everything learned in high
school.

If your students come from public schools that do high stakes
testing, like Virginia's SOLs, there's a reason for that.
Cynthia
Cynthia A. Gilliatt
English Department, JMU
JMU Safe Zones participant