[Milton-L] memorizing dates

Beth Quitslund quitslun at ohio.edu
Fri Feb 20 17:11:47 EST 2004

At 04:29 PM 2/20/2004 -0500, you wrote:

> >   Better than memorizing dates would be to memorize a
> >   few stanzas of Milton.
> >
>Here's a question for the list: do any of you require
>students to memorize and recite passages from the poetry? If
>so, which and why?
>
>It used to be the case that Chaucer students were required to
>memorize and recite the beginning of the General Prologue; in
>fact, this was required of high school students long ago.  My
>late father, who attended high school in Attica, New York in
>the 30s was required to do this, and could reel it off pretty
>convincingly for years and years.  A martini enhanced the
>vigor of the performance.
>
>Cynthia G.

I once tried making students memorize ten lines of The Canterbury
Tales--any ten lines of their choice!--but it was a rather dismal failure
(some students boycotted, and most didn't actually have the lines
memorized, and--my fault--I hadn't put enough emphasis on Middle English
pronunciation that they felt remotely comfortable. But we're on the quarter
system...). I suspect that it was the first time that any of them had been
asked to memorize any kind of poetry not set to music. I theoretically
believe very strongly that memorizing metrical poetry internalizes its
rhythms in ways that are helpful for reading other metrical poetry. (This
would disqualify the horrendous Jacques Prevert poem that my French class
memorized in high school, and which now constitutes the only fluent
sentences that I can speak in French.) As a pedagogical technique in the
real world, I'm skeptical. Perhaps an older and superficially sterner
instructor would have better luck by exercising the Curmudgeon Clause that
grandfathers in, as it were, unfashionably rigorous assignments.

Also, sufficient quantities of memorized poetry can be very disruptive in
the wrong hands. One martini-fueled introductory passage is amusing; three
in rapid succession--say, Chaucer, the Aeneid, and Paradise Lost, recited
by, say, my husband--can be a trial.

Beth Quitslund