[Milton-L] teaching practices

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 20 13:37:13 EST 2004

> "James W. Broaddus" wrote:
>

> I have never forgiven Miss Curtis for marking my answer, "William C.
> Bryant," wrong. The "correct" answer was "William Cullen Bryant. That
> was in the 7th grade in 1941.

That reminds me. On a calculus final exam back in 1948 or so I got one
out of five problems wrong; each problem took the whole side of a sheet
from a legal pad. On one of them at one point near the end I added 9 & 8
and '19.' She gave zero credit for that answer, reducing my semester
grade from an A to a B. I still remember it as sort of the height of
professorial stupidity. (It makes sense in, say, a 9th-grade algebra
class to be extravagantly rigorous, to establish the 'feel' for math.
But in a university calculus class it was merely childish on the part of
the professor.)

Carrol